The Black Mountains are a considerable obstacle for Greenskin armies wishing to invade and plunder The Empire, who are forced to use the Black Fire Pass, the only reliable route to cross the mountains[1a][2a][3a]. Several battles, among them the decisive Battle of Black Fire Pass, were fought here.
Known features of the Black Mountains (east to west):
- Black Fire Pass: This pass, used by the Old Dwarf Road, connects The Empire with the Dwarf capital of Karaz-a-Karak[1b][4a]. It also connects with the South Road which leads to Barak Varr and the Border Princes. On the imperial end of the pass lies the town of Grenzstadt.
- Mount Blackfire
- Blood Peak
- Karak Hirn[4b]
- Winter's Teeth Pass: This pass connects The Empire with Karak Hirn and the Khyprian Road; nominal border between the Vaults and the Black Mountains.
Several rivers of The Empire begin in the Black Mountains
- River Sol
- Upper Reik
- Blue Reach
- Aver Reach
Other streams flow southwards into the Border Princes
- Lodestone River
- River Treblecz
- River Stacneck
- Skull River
- 1: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (4th Edition)
- 2: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (6th Edition)
- 2a: pg. 67
- 3: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (7th Edition)
- 3a: pg. 18
- 4: Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs (6th Edition revised)
- 5: Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs (4th Edition), pg. 17