The Border Princes is a natural destiny for emigrating peasants and nobles, seeking a better life. Most of these colonists come from The Empire while others come from Tilea and Bretonnia. Many of them are political or religious refugees, but the region is also the natural destiny for deserters and/or criminals on the run from the law.
In former times the Border Princes were largely inhabited by savage tribes of Greenskin but now the land is fiercely disputed by the hardy human colonists and many Orc and Goblin tribes. The human colonists are tentatively organized in tiny kingdoms, small principalities, and independent city-states, but most of them are not better than fortified villages. All of them are targets of fierce Orc incursions and most of them don't survive for very long.
The colonists are somewhat stronger in the north-west while the Greenskin hordes dominate the south-east. Even in the north some Orc and Goblin tribes live in hard-to-reach places like forests and mountains. In the centre of the whole region lies Barak Varr, the great seaport of the Dwarfs. The Blood River is the ultimate frontier, but no place north of the river is completely safe from the occasional Orc or Goblin raid.
Sven Carlsson is such a Border Prince. The militia from his realm are mounted on horseback and garbed in red uniforms and wear very heavy armour. Carlsson's Cavalry are very well trained in combat, this is because Carlsson himself is a retired mercenary, and values well trained troops. Carlsson is a personal friend of Morgan Bernhardt and the two often come to each others aid .
Count Schuvaltz- a Border Prince in 2480 was in need of money and resources to raise an army and to fortify an army, so he commissioned another army to plunder the land of Khemri. Only one survivor returned. 
- The Northern Border Confederacy is a mutual alliance of quite different settlements who work together for protection. It includes;
- Akendorf currently ruled by Lord Durant as part of an electoral monarchy system. They have a population of approximately 800 and have an economy centred around timber, woodcarvings, hogs and trapping.
- The Duchy ofBrovska is ruled by Duke Beaucamp. It has a population of approximately 500, and there economy is based on Agriculture and cattle farming.
- Munzig is a simple dictatorship ruled by Graf von Erhard. It has a population of approximately 520, and there economy is based on timber, sheep and market industry.
- Styrtia is a traditional principality ruled by High Prince Bela. It has a population of approximately 450, and there economy is based on Agriculture and cattle farming and vineyards .
- Myrmidens was founded by settlers from Luccinni in Tilea, it is the largest realm of the Border princes with a population of approximately 7000 .