|Attention, Adept of the LEXICANUM!|
Castle Drachenfels is a ruined fortress located high in the Grey Mountains, which form the border between The Empire and Bretonnia. For centuries the castle was the stronghold of Constant Drachenfels, the Great Enchanter.
An all-but-unassailable fortress, it was garrisoned by an army of goblins, orcs, ogres and mutants. It was nevertheless possible for a small group to sneak into the castle. A group of adventurers managed to enter the castle's library in 2203 IC, with disastrous results. Another group of heroes, led by Oswald von Konigswald and Genevieve Dieudonné, infiltrated the castle and killed Drachenfels in 2480 IC
Following the apparent defeat and death of Drachenfels the castle's garrison was put to the sword by an army sent by Emperor Luitpold. The castle itself was to be razed but Oswald intervened, wanting to preserve the castle as a reminder of his great victory.
25 years later, the castle was the stage of a devious plot to assassinate Emperor Karl Franz and most of the Electors. The plot was foiled only in the last moment; the castle was later razed to the ground.
The castle's ruins are currently abandoned and are largely avoided.
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Daemons of Chaos (7th Edition), pg. 29
- 2: Warhammer Companion, pg. 91, A Flame Publication, ISBN 1 87237230 9 (N.B. use Barnes & Noble and ignore the results from the other sites.)
- Drachenfels (novel), Needs Citation
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (4th Edition), pg. 6
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (7th Edition), pgs. 8, 17
- Uniforms & Heraldry of The Empire, pg. 4