It had started as a collection of simple bulrush huts, grew to be a village with a thick palisade of marsh-oak and, finally, a great city of imported stone, flanked on two sides by extensive wharfs and quays. 
In the Age of Chaos and the early part of the Age of Sigmar it suffered several direct assaults and brutal sieges by the followers of Chaos. Much had been ruined and left so, whole blocks of the city faltering under the weight of the encroaching vegetation of the realm. Broken structures slumped beneath spreading trees and clinging vines, which created impromptu parks which later became orchards, or even communal gardens. 
Demesnus is mainly a city of weavers and fisherfolk, ruled by the descendants of the inhabitants of those first bulrush huts. Its citizens are noted as having an abiding interest in the written word, despite the average citizen being only nominally literate.
The Rushes are the leading families of Demesnus, who form the city’s ruling council. 
- Grand Hospices: There have been four – all having been destroyed – the first was founded by the nobleman, Garradan who would become Lord-Celestant Gardus Steel Soul 
- Quamus: Wharfs stretched along its untidy curve with berths for ships and river boats of varying sizes alongside raised piers with a many Warehouses lining the path. 
- Carazo: A former warrior-priest who was infected by Moss-Leprosy, worshiping Saint Garradan and Sigmar in the ruins of the first Great Hospice. 
- Dumala: A young woman who assists Carazo and who helped stand against Chaos with Gardus Steel Soul. 
- Garradan: he built the first great hospice and tried to defend it against the daemons of Chaos, he was later revered as a Saint by some in the city whilst his mortal soul was claimed by Simgar and reforged to become Gardus Steel Soul.
- Sargo Wale: He was a powerful merchant in the Age of Sigmar originally from the Realm of Aqshy.
- Yare: A philosopher who the Hallowed Knights rescued from the Sargasso Citadels of Verdant Bay and who although blinded returned to teaching in Demesnus, guarded by his gryph-hound Dullus. 
|It’s Demesnus. It doesn’t change. It just sinks a bit deeper into the bulrushes. What does one of your sort want here anyway? There’s nothing here but mud, fish and moss-lepers.
~ Captain Fulda to Gardus Steel Soul.