Karl Franz I, Protector of the Empire, Defier of the Dark, Emperor Himself and the Son of Emperors, Elector Count of Reikland and Prince of Altdorf (formal titles) or Karl Franz is the current Emperor of The Empire. He is widely regarded as the greatest statesman and diplomat of the Old World. He was chosen by the Electors and crowned in 2502 IC.
Election and Reign
Karl Franz is the son of the late emperor Luitpold; therefore he was a logical candidate to become Emperor after his father's death. However in the Empire the Imperial throne is not inherited, but decided in an election by the Electors of the Empire.
Although the exact circumstances and precise details are unknown, it's likely that Karl Franz was considered far too young and inexperienced. He himself did not believe that he would be elected and Boris Todbringer, the count of Middenland, was the other candidate. The first voting was 8 against and only 4 in Karl Franz's favour, the remaining 3 Electors presumably abstaining. Maximillian von Konigswald, who was an old friend and count of Ostland, managed to persuade all but one of the other electors to cast their vote for Karl Franz. The Church of Sigmar also supported him with 3 votes. In the end Karl Franz won the election.
As Emperor, Franz is also the leader of the Imperial Army and has commanded it in numerous battles (most notably the battle of Norduin against the Bretonnians, the battle of Bloodkeep and the most recent Storm of Chaos). In battle Franz typically carries the Hammer of Sigmar and the Silver Seal. He usually rides his loyal Griffon Deathclaw. During the great battle against the forces of Chaos well known as Storm of Chaos Karl Franz had given his magical hammer to Valten as a personal favour to the new Chosen of Sigmar. Eventually, Karl Franz entered in battle wielding his Reikland Runefang as Prince of Reikland.
Karl Franz is married and has two children; his older son Luitpold, probably named after Karl Franz's own father, and a younger daughter, whose name is unknown. He also has a sister, who is also married .
- Silver Seal
- A magical item which protects Karl Franz against harmful blows and even harmful magic. Created by Frederick von Tarnus for Magnus the Pious after the First Great War against Chaos.
Notes & sources
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (4th Edition)
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (6th Edition)
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (7th Edition)
- Warhammer: Storm of Chaos
- ↑ Skavenslayer (novel) chapter Skaven's Claw - Grey Seer Thanquol plans to manipulate the chief of the secret police into arresting Karl Franz's brother-in-law (who is logically married to Karl Franz's sister).