The Mortarchs were created by Nagash after his resurrection in 2524 IC. They numbered nine and were meant to be replacements for his original Nine Dark Lords - his most trustworthy servants in the days of old. The Mortarchs were all given specific titles, but not all of them are known.
Only three Mortarchs were also among the original Nine Dark Lords:
- Arkhan the Black; the Mortarch of Sacraments
- Neferata; the Mortarch of Blood
- Krell; the Mortarch of Despair
The other six joined for various reasons:
- Mannfred von Carstein; the Mortarch of Night decided his schemes were not worth undertaking after Nagash's resurrection.
- Vlad von Carstein; the Mortarch of Shadows resurrected from the dead (again) and only joined because Nagash promised to restore his beloved wife Isabella to life as well.
- Luthor Harkon; the Mortarch of the Abyss joined Nagash out of boredom.
- Dieter Helsnicht wanted to learn necromancy from Nagash.
- Walach Harkon saw an opportunity for glory in battle.
- The Nameless (probably Constant Drachenfels) was promised the return of his memory.