The Mortarchs were first created in the End Times by Nagash after his resurrection in 2524 IC and served him throughout that campaign which finally ended the world. They numbered nine and were meant to be replacements for his original Nine Dark Lords - his most trustworthy servants in the days of old.
Only three Mortarchs were also among the original Nine Dark Lords:
- Arkhan the Black; the Mortarch of Sacraments
- Neferata; the Mortarch of Blood
- Krell; the Mortarch of Despair
The other six joined for various reasons:
- Mannfred von Carstein; the Mortarch of Night decided his schemes were not worth undertaking after Nagash's resurrection.
- Vlad von Carstein; the Mortarch of Shadows resurrected from the dead (again) and only joined because Nagash promised to restore his beloved wife Isabella to life as well.
- Luthor Harkon; the Mortarch of the Abyss joined Nagash out of boredom.
- Dieter Helsnicht wanted to learn necromancy from Nagash.
- Walach Harkon saw an opportunity for glory in battle.
- The Nameless (probably Constant Drachenfels) was promised the return of his memory.
The Mortal Realms
The Mortarchs are Deathlords, immensely powerful servants of Nagash, thus far only three have been named in the Mortal Realms, each of whom was a powerful force in the World-that-Was and who now serve him again in the Mortal Realms. Each of the Morarchs have powerful relics and artefacts at their disposal and ride to war on Dread Abyssal mounts.
- Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament: Only Arhkan the Black is truly loyal to Nagash and it is he that the supreme lord of the undead often choses to lead his armies and carry out those tasks he would trust to no one else.
- Mannfred von Carstein, Mortarch of Night: Mannfred often seems to be scheming against his lord, but just as frequently he carries out his masters will nonetheless.
- Neferata, Mortarch of Blood: Queen Neferata serves him (reluctantly) not just through her armies, sorcery and skill at arms, all of which are formidable but with her vast network of spies that spans the Realms.