The Runefangs are 12 ancient magic swords forged by the legendary Dwarf Runesmith Alaric the Mad. The swords were intended for the 12 tribal leaders who had followed Sigmar. Today they are the badges of office of the Elector Counts of The Empire.
While there are twelve Runefangs, there are now only ten Elector Counts and provinces that remain. The realm of Drakwald (located in the Drakwald Forest) was destroyed at a currently unknown date, and Solland, the southernmost province, was sacked and destroyed in the early 1700s by the Waagh! Gorbad. The Elector was killed, and Gorbad Ironclaw claimed his Runefang as a trophy.
It was recovered at another unknown point in the Worlds Edge Mountains and returned to the Imperial capital in Altdorf, where it placed in the Imperial Armoury along with the Drakwald Runefang. However, it was at some point given to the Reikmarshal Kurt Helborg to wield instead.
Each of the Runefangs has its own name, listed below with their associated province:
- Runefang of Averland - Mothers Ruin
- Runefang of Hochland - Goblin Bane
- Runefang of Middenland - Legbiter
- Runefang of Nordland - Crow Feeder
- Runefang of Ostland - Brain Wounder
- Runefang of Ostermark - Troll Cleaver
- Runefang of Reikland - Dragon Tooth
- Runefang of Stirland - Orc Hewer
- Runefang of Talabecland - Stone Breaker
- Runefang of Wissenland - Blood Bringer
- Runefang of Drakwald - Beast Slayer
- Runefang of Solland - Grudge Settler
Notes & sources
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (4th edition), 1993, p.17
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (6th edition), 2000, p.56, 57
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (7th edition), 2006, p.7 & 30