Ulthuan is an island-continent and ancient home of the High Elves. It is located in middle of the Great Ocean, west of the Old World and east of Naggaroth. The nation comprises ten kingdoms, each ruled by various noble families that owe allegiance to the Twin Thrones - the Phoenix King and the Everqueen.
Each kingdom has its own cultural identity, and are divided by the Anulii mountains into Inner and Outer Kingdoms.
The Outer Kingdoms suffer most from foreign raids and invasions. As a consequence its inhabitants are more worldly, cautious, and martial.
- Shadowlands, formerly known as Nagarythe. The nomadic Shadow Warriors travel trough this realm, ever-watchful for raiding parties or invading armies of the Dark Elves as the Shadowlands are the ideal landing ground for their invasions.
- Chrace, home of the White Lions, wood-dwelling High Elves possessing great strength and wielding large axes, who act as bodyguards to the Phoenix King.
- Cothique, a coastal realm, whose main industries involve shipping, trading, and fishing.
- Yvresse, the most sparsely-populated realm, it has only one city, Tor Yvresse, ruled by Eltharion. The kingdom is largely protected from sea raiders by the Shifting Isles.
The Inner Kingdoms are largely shielded from foreign incursions by the Anulii Mountains, allowing them develop more refined and scholarly cultures than the Outer Kingdoms.
- Eataine, this realm contains the great seaport of Lothern. Lothern is the greatest city of Ulthuan. The current Phoenix King is from Eataine, making Lothern the current political capital city. Human merchants are allowed to trade here and the city is a busy centre of international trade. Home to several thousand High Elves the city is guarded by the 10,000 strong Lothern Sea Guard besides sporting mighty walls and numerous defences.
- Caledor, the proudest and most martial of all the High Elf realms. Caledor was once at the centre of Ulthuan's power because of the might of its Dragons. However, these days are long gone and most of the surviving Dragons sleep and dream while the Dragon Princes ride heavy warhorses, a sad echo of glorious days long past.
- Ellyrion is home of the horselords. Its inhabitants learn to ride as soon as they can walk and are considered the greatest horsemen on Ulthuan. The capital of Ellyrion is Tor Elyr.
- Saphery, known for its many mages and the Tower of Hoeth, where magic is taught and knowledge is stored, run by the Loremasters and zealously guarded by the Sword Masters, the most skilled swordsmen in the world.
The Inner Sea
The Inner Sea consists of the Sea of Dusk to the west and the Sea of Dreams to the east.
- The Isle of the Dead lies between the both seas. It is the centre of the great Vortex which gathers the larger part of the Winds of Magic and returns them to the dimension of Chaos.
- The Isle of the Flame lies in the Sea of Dreams. It holds the Shrine of Asuryan where the new Phoenix Kings are elected and crowned.
It's likely that neither island belong to any realm.
- Warhammer Armies: High Elves (4th Edition), p. 4-13
- Warhammer Armies: High Elves (5th Edition), p. 4-13
- Warhammer Armies: High Elves (7th Edition), p. 6-13