The Warhammer world is a planet in which several races and civilisations struggle for survival.
It is part of a star system composed by 10 planets  which orbit a single star. Only a handful of their names and respective positions are known.
- 1) Charyb
- 2) Deiamol, the burning world
- 3) Tigris
- 4) Warhammer orbited by two moons, Morrslieb and Mannslieb
- 5) Verdra
Lokratia and Obscuria are the names of two other planets but their positions are unclear. The names of the remaining 3 planets and their respective positions are unknown.
By order of the Old Ones the Slann changed the original orbit of the Warhammer world, bringing it closer to the sun. This created a more temperate climate, more suitable for the development and survival of complex life.
Obeying their masters the Slann also built two stellar gateways: one is confirmed to be on the North Pole and the other one is reportedly located on the South Pole. These gates eventually malfunctioned and the forces of Chaos erupted through them.
The Warhammer world is geographically divided by large oceans and by huge mountain ranges. The following is a description along an Old World-perspective. You can follow all details in the map above.
- The northern Chaos Wastes surround the North Pole and its stellar gate. A largely frozen land it is covered with ice in the far north which gradually gives way to tundra and large plains. The homeland of countless barbarian human tribes who eye their softer southern neighbours with greed, malice and hatred.
Situated between the Old World and the Northern Chaos Wastes are the following regions:
- The Troll Country, located between Kislev and the Chaos Wastes.
- Norsca, a peninsula situated in the north of the Old World. Its inhabitants, the Norse are culturally closer to their northern neighbours, and while some of the tribes trade with the civilised southern neighbours, they also carry out countless seaborne raids and, more rarely, even full-fledged invasions against the nations of the Old World.
- Albion, an island lying to the west of Norsca.
The Old World, home of several civilised human nations.
- Kislev, a proud realm located on the northern edge of the Old World, allied with the Empire.
- The Empire, the most powerful nation of the Old World. A bastion of civilisation it has several outside threats but also hidden internal foes.
- The Grey Mountains separate the Empire on the east from Bretonnia on the west. They belong to no nation in particular, and are a haven for bandits and some tribes of Orcs and Goblins.
- The Wasteland is located north of the Grey Mountains, between the Empire and Bretonnia, creating a natural buffer-state. The greatest mercantile power of the Old World.
- Bretonnia, a land of chivalry and honour, the second most powerful nation of the Old World.
- In the south of Bretonnia and technically a part of this kingdom, the Forest of Loren is de facto an independent nation and the homeland of the Wood Elves.
- Tilea, land of several competing city-states, trade and mercenaries.
- Estalia, west of Tilea and south of Bretonnia, it is also divided in several city-states.
- The Vaults, an inhospitable highland located between The Empire, Bretonnia, Tilea and the Border Princes belonging to none of them.
At the southern border of the Old World are:
- The Black Mountains who form the southern border of the Empire.
- South of the Black Mountains are the Border Princes, disputed between human colonists and the Greenskin hordes.
- Further south are the Badlands, where the Orcs and the Goblins rule supreme and battle amongst themselves.
Located south of the Old World:
- Araby, located south, south-west of the Old World this land is largely a huge desert. Several oases harbour several city-states and nomadic tribes.
- The Land of the Dead, east of Araby, south of the Badlands.
- South of Araby and of the Land of the Dead lie the Southlands. Largely covered in impenetrable jungles, which hide the city of Zlatlan.
West of the Old World lies the Great Ocean
Located beyond the Great Ocean is the New World:
- The northern realm of Naggaroth, homeland of the Dark Elves.
- Southern Lustria, homeland of the Lizardmen, is covered by humid and impenetrable jungles.
- The Dark Lands, home of several Orc and Goblin tribes, it also harbours the nation of the Chaos Dwarfs.
- Further east are the Mountains of Mourn which contain several Ogre Kingdoms.
- South of the Mountains of Mourn are the Dragon Isles.
East of the Mountains of Mourn are:
- The kingdoms of Ind
- The Hinterlands of Khuresh
- East of Cathay is the island of Nippon
- South of the island of Nippon are the Lost Isles of Elithes
Notes & sources
- ↑ The Burning Shore (novel) p.223 & 224
- Warhammer Rulebook (6th edition), 2000, p 161