- Hidden among the ruins of the Mortal Realms thrive the Flesh-eater Courts. Bound by the madness of their Abhorrant Ghoul Kings, throngs of mordants live out their pitiful lives feasting upon the corpses provided by the endless war and strife of kingdom after kingdom. - Age of Sigmar faction guide.
Flesh-Eater Courts are the courts of madness that serve and are bound to the vampires known as the Abhorrant Ghoul Kings. Most of them are Mordants, former mortals starved by famine and desolation that trapped themselves within a horrific delusion. They are utterly convinced that their cannibalistic feasts are splendid and grandiose visions of nobility. Their job is to gather feasts made from the flesh of the living and the dead and prepare such flesh to be fit for their lord's culinary pleasure.
A Flesh-Eater Court is led by an Abhorrant Ghoul King who is the absolute monarch of a deranged nation but sometimes he might create other abhorrants known as sycophants to share in his delusions. Members of the court, those with royal vampire blood take on half gruesomely appropriate titles such as the Offal Queen or Lord Marrowbroth. Some are true vampires, whilst others are ghouls who have tasted that immortal ichor and grown strong and powerful upon it. In all of them the madness of the Carrion King still runs strong and its only mercy is the delusions which the court believes in their group madness. An Abhorrant King or Queen that slays another may, by sheer force of will, join a defeated rivals court to his own. Occasionally a council of like minded or delusional vampires may command a court together. Above the mordants are the Varghulf Courtiers the greatest among which carry titls such as Marquis Gruelsop. They lead the Royal Mordants and may even command the court’s armies. Crypt Infernal Courtiers and Crypt Haunter Courtiers are field commanders and the greatest among them earn titles such as Lord Marrowbroth or the Lord Liverbelch who command the the Deadwatch and the Abattoir respectively. The Crypt Haunter Courtier who controls the Lickspittles keep order at court is given the traditional position of Lord Chamberslough. Crypt Ghast Courtiers stand as marshals for the king’s massed mordant armies with the Marquis Retchbile commanding the King’s Ghouls and Baron Gizzard commanding the stealthy Ghoul Patrol. However hierarchy and the names of titles may differ from court to court.[4d]
All swear allegiance to the Carrion King and in his absence the mightiest of all abhorrants see his will fulfilled across the realms and they are the Abhorrant Archregents who rule over vast empires of many separate courts. They collect flesh-tithes from the Ghoul Kings and deliver insane proclamations but some allow Ghoul Kings to act autonomously as long as they provide worthy gifts while others oversee all matters within their empires. To a sane mind the empires of Archregents are like continent-sized abattoirs and in them the air itself seethes with madness.[4d]
Some of the courts still revere Nagash as their god and seek to please him in any way that they can, raising great churches and monuments to his glory such as the famed Corpsefane of the Nightlands. Others distrust and hate the Great Necromancer and it is these that are most often found beyond the Realm of Shyish and are usually regarded a plague upon those lands. The greatest of these is Highhaven and Nagash now looks upon it as a great prize to be taken but the courts of that domain are determined to stay out of his reach, warding their Realmgates against the undead.
Mordants are created from cannibals, starved mortals that turn on their own kind and eat them. These cannibal cults quickly devolve into hideous parodies of their societies. But only when these cannibals eat from the feast of an abhorrant king do they fully complete their transformation into ghouls, becoming fully engulfed in the king's madness of noble courts and benevolent monarchies, standing tall armoured in their own delusion.
What makes the courts even more terrifying is that the madness of the king or queen and their court is infectious and those who linger too long may well succumb to the delusions themselves until they see the world (and the court) as the ruler does. The court itself operate like any other, so plots and schemes abound and ones standing can rise or fall in moments with a badly chosen word or deed.
Some mordants are blessed to drink a cup of the king's blood - which their minds understand as drinking wine from their master's table - transforming them further into more powerful, more loyal and less sane variants of mordants. Some even get further blessings allowing them to eventually turn into vampires and join the ranks of the abhorrants ghoul king, allowing them to eventually found their own courts and further spread the Flesh-eating madness.
It is said that the first Abhorrant Ghoul King arose during the Age of Myth, originally a fair and favoured servant of Nagash. He fell from favour for reasons long forgotten and was transformed into a mockery of his once handsome form and condemned to prowl the Nightlands of the Realm of Shyish. However such was his rage, that he cut a swath through the lands and cities of that realm until his master imprisoned him in the Shroudcage.
It was not until the Age of Chaos that he would be unwittingly released by Sigmar during his war with Nagash. Fleeing to the shadows, the Carrion King found the first Mordants, depraved mortal cannibals, some of whom he then gifted with his blood and so the Flesh-eater Courts were born in their bloody glory. It is said that Nagash still seeks him so that he might gain true control over the courts.
- Blisterskin: A Grand Court from the Realm of Aqshy that seek to spread their twisted beliefs on the Realm of Hysh.[4c]
- Carnedine Cortege: Saved the remaining population of the Twilos Expanse from Chaos by transforming them into mordants.
- Clatterbone Court: Led by King Greth the Decrepit, a descendant of the First Court. [4b]
- Crookfang Kingdom: Slew the Arcanite Shardfane and saved the Hammers of Sigmar who quickly retired to the upper levels whilst the court ate its fill.
- Dreamgheist: Their madness was so potent, that when the Slann Starmaster Lord Tesolesalak went to war against them, even he began to fall victim to it, his conjured warriors becoming ever more monstrous. [4a]
- Fallow Court: They betrayed the One-eyed king who swore vengeance on all mortals, especially ghouls.
- Gibbering Courts: The legendary first asylum cities created by the Carrion King, full of the insane and depraved.
- Gluttonous Carnival: Vast corpse caravans travel constantly, heavy with scavenged meat.
- Gristlegore: Grand Court. [4a]
- Halfblood Courts: A successful alliance with the Swillgor Ogors only fell apart after they destroyed the Fireslayer holds of Vulkanum and began to argue over the bloody spoils.
- Hollowmourne: A Grand Court that fell upon a force of Bloodreavers who they consider loathsome cannibals. [4a]
- Morgaunt: In the Age of Chaos they erradicated the Slatehorns Greatfray who had themselves wiped out the dragons of the Betrayers Barrier.[4a]
- Sanguine Court: They discovered the Fields of Dracothion, a vast dragon graveyard that granted them many Zombie Dragons.
- Suppurating Court: Rules the vast kingdom of Voldyr. Defeated the invading Anvils of the Heldenhammer.
- Sunderborne Court: Destroyed the Ratchet Tombs and their defenders, but the courtiers acquired a dangerous taste for vampire blood.
- Witherclaw: Safe within the fortress of the same name they defend it against all who enter their lands, especially the servants of Nagash.
|Urglom||Flesh-Eater Courts||Crypt Haunter||Mordant||Urglom was a mortal hero of the Spryglass Warrens in the Realm of Ulgu. When Chaos Daemons invaded he only survived by fleeing into the dark depths and deep tunnels and whilst he resisted the call of the Dark Gods to survive he preyed upon anything that ventured into his domain. Later he fell under the influence of a Abhorrant Ghoul King Gloomheart and in time his service earned him the transformation into a Crypt Haunter and he rose still further, being granted the title of Lord Liverbelch, the overseer of the Abattoir.|
|Atheldade||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||The High King of Wendel's Glory.|
|Blood Rose Prince||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||The vampires of Nulahmia claim he was the first Abhorrant Ghoul King, cursed by Queen Neferata, however its is likely a corruption or memory of the story of Ushoran from the World-that-Was, also known as Sumeros Summerking, Ushoran the Handsome and the Carrion King.|
|Fangheart||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||His Crypt Flayer bodyguard was a potent defence against the assassins he feared, but they did devour much of his court.|
|Goretalon||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||He famously descended upon a gargant alemoot which fed his Terrorgheists so much they burst with bat-spawn.|
|Gloomheart||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||The King of the Yearning Courts. He recalls little except he was a great warrior savaged by a beast which he hunts across the Gallowdeeps, Nightlands, and Wraithwyrds. Desperate for food, they devoured the entire army of the Chaos Lord Hadrak Darkfist and him as well.|
|Gristlegob||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||Combined twelve courts to wipe out the orruks in Stonespit and was then proclaimed abhorrant emperor.|
|Horgloom||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||Formed an alliance with Queen Neferata and together they drove the forces of Chaos from the Nightlands.|
|Maldoros||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||He aided the city of Lethis against the armies of Nagash following the Necroquake.|
|Marrowthirst||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||Keeper of the Corpse Orchards in the Fallow Kingdom of Voldyr.|
|Prince of Crows||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||Rikan the Handsome was a brother to Isa the "wise" and the son of Arek ven-Drak before his transformation. Later in the Age of Chaos, when the Rotbringers had been destroyed that threatened his clan he joined the Broken Kings in pledging his service to Tamra ven-Drak|
|Shovergore||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||He slaughters all those who enter the once free city of Heldost including Fyreslayer mercenaries and a contingent of the Hammers of Sigmar.|
|Skinless Sultan||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Archregent||Vampire||He is able to calculate where the Bad Moon will appear.|
|Splinterblood||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||As Fyreslayers led by Rygorn-Grimnar and Skaven led by the Grey Seer Reeknik fought in the depths of the Wyrd-Engine, a vast horde of Mordants led by King Splinterblood fell upon both armies. Only the ghouls survived the ensuing three way conflict.|
|Count Zernmeister||Flesh-Eater Courts||Abhorrant Ghoul King||Vampire||He holds court in the Schloss Wolfhof in the Realm of Shyish|
- 1: Battletome: Flesh-Eater Courts product description
- 2: Age of Sigmar faction guide
- 3: Battletome: Flesh-Eater Courts (2016)
- 4: Battletome: Flesh-Eater Courts (2019)