The Cities of Sigmar are defended by many different forces such as the Stormcast Eternals, the Ironweld Arsenal and the Collegiate Arcane but much fighting and sacrifice falls to the mere mortals of the many Freeguild Regiments. All such regiments were originally created from twelve tribes that fought alongside Sigmar in the Age of Chaos and followed him when he retreated to the Realm of Azyr where they retained their training, skills and discipline.[1e]
However as the reclamation of the Mortal Realms progressed more and more regiments were created from those cultures that had survived the onslaught of Chaos - although tensions often run high between the original Azyrites and the Reclaimed. All free cities have several Freeguilds, organised into regiments for battle and acting as city watchmen in times of peace. Each are different and have their own customs, cultures, colours and traditions differing greatly from Realm to Realm and city to city. [1e]
- Blackshore Guard of Lethis who carry many amulets and trinkets to protect themselves from the Nighthaunts of their realm. [1e]
- Blacktalons. [5a]
- Coldguard: After betraying Excelsis, almost all were either killed in the ensuing battle or imprisoned by the Knights Excelsior, following which the regiment was disbanded. 
- Faithful Blades: One of the oldest regiments of Hammerhal Ghyra. [1a]
- Firewolves: From Excelsis - they were almost destroyed in the Uprising of the Cult of the Fated Path.
- Gallowsmen: Old and storied regiment from the city of Nordrath. 
- Gold Gryphons: A famous regiment from the city of Vindicarum which has its roots on the duelling fields of Azyrheim. [1a] 
- Greycaps of Greywater Fastness. [1b]
- Jerech Blue Skies: The largest and oldest regiment in the service of Hamilcar Bear-Eater when he commanded the Seven Words.
- Holdashi Irregulars: Holdash is a scion city of the Phoenicium. [1c]
- Leatherbacks: A Freeguild gun company, from the Black Marsh Barony in the Realm of Ghur. 
- Nordathi Red and Blacks: A small but flexible harquebusier regiment of outriders, pistoliers and conventional armoured cavalry.
- Rumrunners: A marine regiment from Anvilgard whose uniform is black and red. [1d]
Some of those who join are volunteers, part of a long family history of service, others see it as path to glory or riches whilst otehrs are conscripted for all city districts are required to provide recruits to replenish the ranks fo their regiments. [1e]
- 1: Battletome: Cities of Sigmar (2019)
- 2: Hamilcar: Champion of the Gods
- 3: Hallowed Knights: Black Pyramid (novel)
- 4: Legends of the Age of Sigmar: City of Secrets
- 5: Soul Wars (novel), Chapter Fifteen