Gargants are a race of giants that inhabit the Mortal Realms.
There are many tales and rumours from the Age of Myth that tell possible origins of the Gargants in the Mortal Realms:
- The bacchic descendants of a prehistorical gargant tribe that once wandered throughout the realms.
- Some believe they were once a race of wise and strong builders that helped the Free Peoples construct cities and empires. It was said that they once stood at Sigmar's side and the wisest belonged to his councils, helping him during the age of expansion and prosperity.
- Others believe they are the descendants of Behemat, a Zodiac Godbeast rumoured to live in Ghyran. Once mighty forest-warriors and woodland kings whose empires stood in every realm and stretched over the horizon. Coarse and slightly bestial, their pursued civilisation up to a certain point as they weren't partial to excessive clothing and lacked personal hygiene.
- Some legends say they are the refugees of a destroyed world that settled in the realms, drowning their sorrows of losing their land in copious amounts of booze.
Of these various origins, it has been confirmed that the group of tribes known collectively as the Sons of Behemat are in fact the children of the Godbeast Behemat, birthed by vomiting after he invaded Verdia and consumed it's herds, driving several bovine species to extinction. These gargant tribes would come to build a great civilisation on the Harmonis Velt. This feat of procreation tires Behemat and he falls asleep his body slowly turning into landscape features.
- Aleguzzler Gargants: Perpetually drunk gargants that often follow the forces of destruction for the promise of alcoholic beverages.
- Chaos Gargants: Some gargants have been corrupted by the power of chaos.
- Sons of Behemat: Various tribes of Gargants born from Behemat's vomit and built a civilisation on the Harmonis Velt.
- Brimstone Tribe: Tzeentch-worshipping gargants with burning skulls that inhabited the Flamefields before they were slaughtered by Skuldrak the Destroyer.
- 1: Grand Alliance: Destruction - Aleguzzler Gargants, pg. 70-71
- 2: Grand Alliance: Chaos - Chaos Gargants, pg. 228-229
- 3: Battletome: Khorne Bloodbound (2015), pg. 23-24
- 4: Age of Sigmar: Core Book (2nd Edition) - The Everspring Swathe, pg. 92-95
|Sapient Races of the Mortal Realms|
|Mortals||Aelf (Cythai • Scáthborn) • Ba'hal • Duardin • Fimir • Gargant • Human • Ogor • Slann • Spite • Sylvaneth (Forest Folk • Noble Spirits • Free Spirits • Outcasts) • Troggoth (Dankhold • Fellwater • Rockgut • Sourbreath)|
|Gor-kin||Bullgor (Cygor • Ghorgon) • Gor (Centigor • Tzaangor • Ungor) • Skaven (Rat Ogor)|
|Greenskins||Grot (Scutlings) • Orruk • Snotling|
|Undead||Malignant • Mordant • Reanimant (Morghast) • Skeleton • Vampire|
|Daemonic||Seraphon (Chameleon Skink • Kroxigor • Saurus • Skink) • Chaos Daemons (Bloodletter • Bloodthirster • Chaos Fury • Daemon Prince • Daemonette • Gaunt Summoner • Great Unclean One • Horror of Tzeentch • Keeper of Secrets • Lord of Change • Nurgling • Plaguebearer • Soul Grinder • Verminlord)|
|Other||Dracoth • Dragon Ogor (Shaggoth) • Kelpdar • Merwynn • Sankrit • Stardrake|