Handguns are black powder weapons consisting of a metal barrel mounted on a wooden stock. The crudest versions are little more than small, hand-held cannons, which the user fires by poking a length of burning cord, known as a match, into a small touch-hole to ignite the charge. More advanced versions have firing mechanisms (locks) which use levers and springs to mechanize the firing process. The most advanced of these use self-ignition mechanisms (such as flintlocks) which remove the need for a match. Handguns have relatively long range, and can penetrate some of the thickest armour.[1a]
Users of handguns
- Dwarf troops armed with handguns are called Thunderers, due the noise of their weapons. Their lead shot can take down a Troll, or a fully armoured knight.[1b]
- In the Empire, handguns are often manufactured by skilled gunsmiths in Nuln. State Troops armed with handguns are named Handgunners.
- During his reign, Tzar Boris Ursus of Kislev imported black-powder from the Empire.[3b] As a result, the Boyars of Kislev can be armed with handguns.[3a]
- 1: Warhammer Rulebook (7th Edition)
- 2: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (7th Edition), pg. 37
- 3: Warhammer Armies: Kislev (6th Edition)