Handgunners are Imperial State Troops armed with handguns - black powder firearms which are often manufactured in Nuln.
Technologically, these weapons are quite sophisticated; perhaps as a result, they are less common in the poorer provinces of The Empire, where the difficulty of their manufacture limits the numbers in use. In such provinces, such as Stirland, the crossbow and the bow are more prevalent.
RThe process of firing and maintaining a handgun is complex and involved with Handgunners often shrouding it in mystique and ritual. The Empire’s simpler folk are frightened of blackpowder weapons but others note that Handgunners need only a few weeks training before taking the field as proof that the process is actually simple.[4a]
Handgunner sergeants often use an experimental weapon, such as the Hochland long rifle.
- Fireloques of Ferlangen: Deadly accurate handgunners that have fought throughout Ostland, often under the army banner of their Elector Count. [4a]
- Nuln Ironsides: An elite regiment equipped with the best equipment the Imperial Gunnery School has to offer. [4a]
Weapons and Equipment
- 3rd Edition: Hakbutschutzen: Arquebus, Hand Weapon. May have Musician, Standard Bearer. [2a]
- 4th Edition: Handgun, Hand Weapon, may be equipped with Light Armour. [1a]
- 6th Edition: Handgun, Hand Weapon. May have Marksman who may swap Handgun for Brace of Pistols, Hochland Long Rifle or Repeater Handgun. May have Musician, Standard Bearer. [3a]
Hangunners of Talabecland
|They are unreliable, noisy, full of hot air, and they leave a foul smell behind them. And their guns aren’t much better..
~ Holger Kass, 1st Bögenhafen Halberdiers.[4a]
In 3rd edition, they are called Hakbutschutzen. [2a]
- 1: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (4th Edition)
- 1a: Regiments, pg. 62
- 2: Warhammer Armies (3rd Edition)
- 2a: Regiments, pg. 62
- 3: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (6th Edition)
- 3a: Armies of the Empire, pg. 28
- 4: Up in Arms
- 4a: Handgunner, pg. 16
- Warhammer Armies: The Empire (7th Edition), Needs Citation