|Attention, Adept of the LEXICANUM!|
|Though our fair homeland is beset on all sides, we shall resist, as our forefathers did before us. In these dark times, as our tainted brethren ravage our shores, we stand defiant and shall emerge victorious. For we are the Asur, the true kin of Aenarion, and Ulthuan shall never fall.|
Prince Tyrion, Defender of Ulthuan 
The High Elves, who call themselves Asur, are one of the major powers of the Warhammer world. Their homeland is the ring-shaped island of Ulthuan, located in the Great Ocean between the Old World and Naggaroth.
The High Elves have fought against the spread of Chaos since it first appeared in the world, but their most bitter struggle is against their own kin, the Dark Elves. While not hostile to their parent civilisation, the Wood Elves are the descendants of High Elf colonists who declared their own independence, remaining in the Old World.
The High Elves were the first to explore the seas and shores of the entire world and their achievements are without parallel. They are usually seen as being arrogant, aloof and overly concerned with beauty and art, a reputation which is not completely unfounded. They generally view themselves as being superior to other races.
Despite the glory of the High Elf civilisation their power is slowly fading, only to be replaced by the populous and vigorous race of man. The main reason for this development is a falling birth-rate, the causes of which are unknown.
The Phoenix King holds political and military authority, while the Everqueen's influence is of a more cultural and spiritual nature.
The next tier of the aristocracy is occupied by an unknown number of princes.
The High Elves are allied with the realms of men, chiefly The Empire, Bretonnia and Kislev. A more uneasy relationship exists with the Dwarfs. A past conflict, known as the War of the Beard, ended their initial friendship and the Dwarfs still hold a heavy grudge against the Elf race as a whole. However the two nations cooperate, even if grudgingly, in the eternal struggle against their common enemies; namely the Orcs, the Dark Elves, and the forces of Chaos.
The island of Ulthuan is organised into 10 realms:
The High Elves also have 3 major colonies:
- Arnheim, located in southern Naggaroth.
- the Citadel of Dusk, located at the southern tip of Lustria.
- the Fortress of Dawn, located at the southern tip of the Southlands.
The last two seaports enable the High Elf navy to largely control the international sea trade routes.
Society & culture
The High Elf military is feared by its enemies and respected by its allies. The High Elf Navy is currently the most powerful of all and the High Elf Army is well-trained, well-equipped and (most of the time) ably commanded.
High Elf Infantry
- High Elf Archers - High Elf Archers are disciplined, keen-eyed citizen-militia that serves the armies of Ulthaun as part of their civic duties to protect their kingdom against all threats.
- High Elf Spearmen - High Elf Spearmen are the elite, second-tier citizen-militia within Ulthuan's armies, acting as a disciplined line of warriors that puts even the most battle-hardened Human warrior to shame.
- Lothern Sea Guard - The Lothern Sea Guard are the specialized citizen-militia of the Kingdom of Eataine, fighting as effectively on land as at sea, and are equally resolute when defending the walls and fields of Lothern as they are when battling on the deck of a ship.
- Phoenix Guard - The Phoenix Guard are the guardians of the Shrine of Asuryan, the great pyramid temple in the Sea of Dreams.
- Sisters of Avelorn - The Sisters of Avelorn are the personal guardians and hand-maidens of the Kingdom of Avelorn and the Everqueen herself.
- Swordmasters of Hoeth - The Swordmasters of Hoeth are exemplars of the martial arts. Each has studied warfare and personal combat for decades, or even centuries. Deadly protectors of the Tower of Hoeth and masters of the blade.
- Shadow Warriors - The Shadow Warriors are an elite band of scouts, warriors and assassins.
- White Lions- The White Lions have served as the personal guard of the Phoenix King since the time of Caledor the First.
High Elf Cavalry
- Dragon Princes - The Dragon Princes of Caledor are amongst the greatest and most noble Knights the world has ever known.
- Ellyrian Reavers - The Ellyrian Reavers, or Reaver Knights, are a famous formation of elite Ellyrian horsemen who are famous for their abilities as swift and agile horse archers.
- Silver Helm Knights - The Silver Helms Knights are seen as the perfect exemplars of mounted martial grace and valor to which young Elves should aspire. Dragon Princes are too distant and aloof, Ellyrian Reavers perhaps a touch too wild and uncivilized.
High Elf Warbeasts
- Great Eagle - Great Eagles are the largest birds of prey in the Empire, with a wingspan that measures over thirty feet and having razor-sharp talons.
- Griffons - griffons are noble beasts, as beasts go, though they are far from tame and placid. T
- High Elf Dragons - The High Elf Dragons of Ulthuan are the greatest and most noble of the Dragon species living within the World.
- Flamespyre Phoenix - The Flamespyre Phoenixes of Ulthuan dwell amongst the Flamespyre - great alabaster pillars of rock that stand sentinel about the Shire of Asuryan. The Phoenixes of the Flamespyres have become attuned to fire magic, harnessing it at whim.
- Frostheart Phoenix - Whilst a Frostheart Phoenix may not possess the vigour and fire it commanded in its youth, it is a much hardier mount. The ice that sheathes its form is as hard as glass, and enemies -- not having the benefit of the rider's enchanted armour -- find their own strength and resolve eaten away by its chill presence.
High Elf Leaders
- High Elf Princes and Princesses - The High Elven Princes of Ulthuan are great and most skillful generals, strategist and warriors.
- High Elf Archmage - High Elf Mages are aspirants to the Magical arts, but due to their natural affinity to the Winds of Magic, they are far more powerful then even the most experience Imperial Battle Wizard.
- Anointed of Asuryan - The Anointed of Asuryan are the greatest and most powerful of the Phoenix Guard.
- Loremaster of Hoeth - The High Elf Loremasters of Hoeth are invariably gifted warriors, for their intellects find even the exacting disciplines of the Swordmasters almost childishly easy to master.
- High Elf Noble - High Elf Nobles are the leaders of their own respected armies and companies, warriors whose skill at arms and years of experience far surpass those of any other mortal race.
- High Elf Mage - High Elf Mages are aspirants to the Magical arts, but due to their natural affinity to the Winds of Magic, they are far more powerful then even the most experience Imperial Battle Wizard.
- Dragon Mage - The Dragon Mages are mighty Mages of the Kingdom of Caledor, Elves who have a sensitivity not only to magic, but also to the minds of slumbering Dragons.
- Lothern Sea Helm - Lothern Sea Helms are the greatest heroes of Lothern, an order founded in the time of Bel Shanaar. With both spear and bow they have perfected the quicksilver strike that cheats shields and parries to pierce throats, hearts or skulls.
- Handmaiden of the Everqueen - The Handmaidens of the Everqueen are the bodyguard of Alarielle, the highest rank of all Sisters of Avelorn. The Handmaidens are not mere courtiers and attendants, but a warrior guard whose duty is to serve and protect their mistress.
|We are a tall and slender people, sleight of build and graceful of movement. Our armies, too, move with fluid grace as do our warshps and steeds. All that we touch is elegant and finely crafted for we are a long lived people and refuse to surround ourselves with ugliness and discord. During our long lives we are able to perfect many skills and our people are renowned for our highly skilled artisans, fine cratfsmen, the beauty of our art and the melodious grace of our songs. All in all we are a race that loves beauty and treasures skill, but our days are not all spent in idle pursuits.
~ The Elven Warhost.[4a]
The Fireborn of Caledor
- 1: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (7th Edition), pg. 82
- 2: Warhammer Armies: Kislev (6th Edition), pg. 10
- 3: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (6th Edition), pg. 49
- 4: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (5th Edition)
- 4a: The Elven Warhost, pg. 6
- 5: Blood of Aenarion (Novel)
- 5a: Chapter Ten. pg. 183
- Defenders of Ulthuan (Novel)
- Giantslayer (Novel) by William King
- Warhammer Armies: High Elves (4th Edition)