Magnus the Pious
Magnus appeared at the time of greatest peril, reunifying the divided Empire and saving the Old World at a time when Chaos had reached such a strength that its forces were threatening to overrun Kislev to the northeast, long the bulwark against Chaos. This was the darkest period for the Empire - there was no Emperor, as the imperial system had effectively ended in 1979 IC, but even before, the election of the Emperor had become little more than a sham. Coinciding with the Empire's dissolution was the growing power of Chaos. In a new Chaos Incursion, the Chaos Warlord Asavar Kul rampaged southwards. The forces of Chaos crossed the River Lynsk of Kislev, besieging and finally leveling the city of Praag to the ground.
He grew up as a young nobleman with a fanatical devotion to the church of Sigmar and the Empire and such was his fanaticism that his family sent him to university in Nuln to try and disperse his energy. However, he soon had a following of fellow students who gathered to hear his rousing speeches. Magnus realised this lack of leadership and unity left the Empire unable to defend itself against the growing threat of Chaos. Driven by his faith, he walked throughout the Empire, preaching the word of Sigmar and driving the people until they believed he was the man who could lead them to victory. Even the Elector Counts recognised his power and agreed to follow him. [2a]
Ultimately, in the Great War Against Chaos, Magnus gathered a great army and marched north to meet the threat, his force a massive and diverse array of gleaming knights, crazed flagellants, hardy state troops and, in a particularly new and controversial move, hedge wizards trained in battle magic by the High Elves.
High Mage Teclis of Ulthuan had been sent by the Phoenix King to aid the realms of men, knowing that if the Empire was to fall the rest of the world would eventually follow. With precious few warriors to spare (as the High Elves were fighting a desperate war against their dark kin at the same time) Teclis took two of his fellow mages from the White Tower, Yrtle and Finreir, and set off for the Empire. High King Alriksson of the Dwarfs also marched north to aid the nations of men.
His army had to be divided in two, so huge was it and such a drain on food and other resources - they arrived too late to save Praag but destroyed the remaining choas forces.[2a] Eventually the forces of Chaos would meet the greatest alliance in the history of the old world. Ultimately, the men, elves and dwarfs drove back the armies of Chaos at the Battle for Kislev's Gate, and ended the Great War.[2a]
Afterwards, Magnus was elected Emperor in honour of his great victory.[2a] "The Pious" as he became known, due to his religious fervour and devotion to Sigmar, reunited the Empire, and instigated many traditions and institutions that still survive today.
Weapons and Equipment
- 4th Edition: Heavy Armour, Shield, Sword, may ride a Barded Warhorse. [2a]
Although he used no magical weapons or protection prior to being created Emperor, he is protected by the Power of Sigmar. [2a]
- Gilded Armour: Following the Great War against Chaos, the High Elves presented him with a golden set of armour, enchanted to repel attacks. [6a]
- Shroud of Magnus: After his death a shroud was laid upon his body, those who carry it are immune to malign Chaos, Dark and Skaven magic. [6a]
- 1: Sigmar's Heirs: A Guide to the Empire, pg. 17
- 2: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (4th Edition)
- 2a: Special Characters, pg. 68
- 3: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (5th Edition)
- 4: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (6th Edition)
- 5: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (7th Edition)
- 6: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (6th Edition)
- 6a: The Treasure Vaults, pg. 21
- 7: Realms of Sorcery (1st Edition), Magic Items, pg. 162