Life of a Questing Knight
Although most are Knights of the Realm, some successfully Knights Errant may immediately set out on the quest - this is considered particularly noble as they relinquish their feudal rights to do so. Younger sons of Lords often do so as do the King's sons. [1b]
He takes up the traditional weapons of the Quest - a double handed sword and a shield marked with the Fleur de Lys. Questing knights are seen as heroes throughout Bretonnia, performing great deeds and feats in their attempt to become a mighty Grail Knight. Many Questing Knights possess magical trinkets and artefacts acquired during their journeys, adding to their already impressive skill in combat, despite part of their vow being to set down their lances, the most renowned and mighty Questing Knights seem to be considered worthy enough to still use them.
The years of a Questing Knight's life are filled with trials and hardships that strengthen his mind, body, and soul. The path of a Questing Knight is a winding one, for they are pledged to never sleep two nights in the same place and never to yield in their search while they yet draw breath. Questing Knights live a solitary existence, the Lady of the Lake their only companion. The quest for the Grail knows no physical boundaries and it is common for a Questing Knight to travel far beyond his domain and often beyond the realm of Bretonnia itself. [4b]
They are guided by visions and will fight in many battles, facing dire enemies and hunting rampaging monsters like Manticores, Dragons and Chimeras or engaging in duels against Chaos Knights and other fell warriors, until he is worthy to find the Grail. Questing Knights are mighty warriors, heroes of renown who scour the land, killing the mightiest of beasts and foes, forever searching for the Grail.[4b]
- Jasperre le Beau, a Questing Knight famous for slaying the dragon, Malgrimace.
- Odo d'Outremer, hero of the Crusades against Araby.
- Phillipe d'Artaud, the leader of Bretonnia's forces during the Nemesis Crown campaign.
- Sir DuClaw, a Questing Knight Paladin who protected a Duke's bride from ravenous Trolls.
- Tristan le Troubadour, famed for his inspiring voice and songs.
Weapons and Equipment
- 5th Edition: Heavy Armour, Lance, Shield, Sword. Mounted on Barded Bretonnian Warhorse. May have Champion, Musician and Standard Bearer. May have a Magic Standard. Questing Virtue [1c]
- 6th Edition: Great Weapon, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour, Shield. Mounted on Barded Bretonnian Warhorse. Paragon. May have Musician and Standard Bearer. May have a Magic Standard. [4c]
|"Lady of grace and beauty, I set down my lance, symbol of duty, upon your shrine. I spurn those whom I love. I relinquish all, and take upon the tools of my journey. No obstacle will stand before me. No plea for help shall find me wanting. No moon will look upon me twice lest I be judged idle. I give my body, heart and soul to you, oh Lady, and I shall seek wherever thou might be found. This is my questing vow, and I swear before you, mistress of mercy, and beg that you shall strike me down should I falter." - The ritual vow of a Questing Knight[4a]
Gefreid the Pure
- 1: Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia (5th Edition)
- 2: Guardians of the Forest (Novel), Chapter 21
- 3: Knight of the Realm (Novel), Epilogue
- 4: Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia (6th Edition)