The Grand Principality of Reikland[1a] is a very important western province of The Empire, being the homeland of the ancient Unberogens and Sigmar, founder of The Empire. Its colour is white and its symbol is an eagle representing Myrmidia. [5c].
The province is named after the river Reik[6c][8c], the most important river of The Empire. Reikland is located between Wissenland to the south, while Stirland and Talabecland lie in the the east. To the north are Middenland and The Wasteland. The Grey Mountains are Reikland's western border, forming a natural buffer zone between The Empire and Bretonnia.
The province has a relatively large population and it is crossed by important trade routes; one crosses the Grey Mountains through Axe Bite Pass, connecting The Empire with Bretonnia. Another trade route uses the river Reik; several ships carry their cargoes between the cities and towns of The Empire and Marienburg. All this trade and the accompanying tools and taxes make Reikland a wealthy and cosmopolitan province.
The main color of Reikland is white. However, most uniforms are actually more of an off-white color. The banner of Reikland depicts an eagle, representing Myrmidia, a goddess of war. In is left talon is a hammer, representing devotion to Sigmar. In its right is a sword, represting the Runefang of Reikland. Atop its head is a crown, representing the ruling emperor. Finally, the imperial cross on the eagle's shield represents imperial unity.[5d]
In 2211 IC the Dwarfs of the Grey Mountains damned several rivers in a dispute over mining rights which thenh to the Runtwater march by peasents on Altdorf. Since that day, the Empire has been careful not to antognise the Dwarfs. [1a]
- Altdorf[5b][6a][7a][8a]: Current capital of The Empire; a large semi-independent city-state formerly called Reikdorf.
- Reikland Forest[5a][6a][7a][8a]: A large forest south of Altdorf; infamous due the high number of local bandits.
- Frederheim[1b]: A town near Altdorf with an infamous sanatorium run by the Cult of Shallya
- Bögenhafen[5a][6a][8a]: A town lying on the The Empire-Bretonnia trade route.
- Helmgart: A fortress located the northern end of Axe Bite Pass; it protects the Reikland from any threat coming from the Grey Mountains or Bretonnia[5d][6b][7b][8b]. Helmgart is home to Franz Erikson who leads the 'Helmgart Bowmen', a regiment that uses close ordered ranks to fire volleys of arrows down onto the foe.
- Kemperbad[1d]: One of the two Reikland possessions east of the River Talabec
- Castle Reiksguard[1c]
- Axe Bite Pass: The main trade route south of the Gisoreux Gap; the imperial end of the pass is protected by the fortress of Helmgart, while the Bretonnian end is guarded by the Castle of Monfort[6b].
All the provinces have their own deities and godings, some of the most important in Reikland are:[11a] Bögenauer (river Bögen}, Borchbach (rhetoric), Clio (history), Dyrath (women), Grandfather Reik (river reik), Katya (disarming beauty)[11b]
|Like my father and my father afore me, I’ve been living in Reikland all me life. As folk go, they know not to mess with my business, and show the respect I deserve, as is right. Yes, they’re unreliable, and as changeable as the wind, but they’re also resourceful and shrewd, so I’d recommend them as risky business partners, as they see solutions I’d not even consider|
|The provinces & city-states of The Empire|
|Provinces||Reikland - Middenland - Nordland - Ostland - Hochland - Talabecland - Ostermark - Stirland - Averland - Wissenland - The Moot|
|City-states||Altdorf - Nuln - Middenheim - Talabheim|
|Lost provinces||Drakwald - Solland - Westerland - Sylvania|
- 1:Sigmar's Heirs
- 1a: Chapter VI: The Grand Provinces, pg. 77-84
- 2: White Dwarf 325, pg. 52
- 3: The Life of Sigmar, pg. 5
- 4: The Empire at War, pg. 80
- 5: Uniforms & Heraldry of The Empire
- 6: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (4th Edition)
- 7: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (4th Edition)
- 8: Warhammer Armies: The Empire (7th Edition)
- 9: Warhammer: Dark Omen
- 10: Warhammer Armies: Bretonnia (5th Edition), pg. 4
- 11: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (4th Edition) Rulebook