The Shadowlands is all that remains of Nagarythe, the ancestral homeland of the Dark Elves. It is located between Tiranoc and Chrace while the Annulii Mountains separate them from Ellyrion and Avelorn.
Dark Elf invasions will often begin here; five major mountain passes cross the Annulii Mountains and are vital for major enemy incursions against the Inner Kingdoms.
Ruling over the most hardened, driven and merciless warriors of his army, who became the Nagarythe, he established his court in the fortress of Anlec. Following his disappearance the realm of Nagarythe was inherited by his son Malekith.
At the end of the civil war, Malekith made a mad attempt to undo the Great Vortex. This led to a powerful magic backlash which quite literally ripped the land apart, leading to gigantic tsunamis which inundated and devastated large parts of Ulthuan, mainly the Northwest and especially Nagarythe.
In 2413 IC and after much heated debate, the court of Finubar dispatched Prince Melenar, a Warrior-Mage and head of House Coraith to begin a campign to retake the Shadowlands. He would campaign for several years against the Dark Elves, establishing a stronghold and forming an alliance with the Shadow Warriors. [5b]
Few settlements remain near the inland borders from which the few remaining archers and spearmen that guard the grim kingdom are recruited. [4a] The land has a great number of unmarked graves of dead elven warriors. There are no permanent civilian settlements with only the camps of the Shadow Warriors scattered throughout the land and watchtowers at key locations such as bridges manned by veterans. [5a]
- Anlec: Former capital of Nagarythe, rebuilt and destroyed several times, guarded by a sizable force. [5a]
- Athel Kanya: Ruined city. [5b]
- Athel Maranth: Lighthouse and Beacon which guided High Elf ships in the northern seas. 
- Athel Tamarha: Ruined city. [5b]
- Hills of Adran. [5b]
- Phoenix Gate
- Dragon Gate
- Unicorn Gate
- Griffon Gate: The sacrifice of all those who gave their lives for the defence of Ulthuan is honoured by a five hundred foot-tall statue of a Griffon[1b][2b][3b].
- Eagle Gate
|The realms, colonies & outposts of the High Elves|
|Realms of Ulthuan||Eataine - Caledor - Tiranoc - Shadowlands - Chrace - Cothique - Yvresse - Ellyrion - Avelorn - Saphery|
|Nearby Isles||The Isles - Isle of the Dead - Island of the Flame - Shifting Isles|
|High Elf Outposts & Colonies||Arnheim - Citadel of Dusk - Fortress of Dawn - Gates of Calith - Tor Elasor - Tor Elithis - Tower of Stars - Tower of the Sun|
- 1: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (4th Edition)
- 2: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (5th Edition)
- 3: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (7th Edition)
- 4: Uniforms & Heraldry of the High Elves
- 4a: Nagarythe, pg. 18-21
- 5: Tears of Isha
- 6: White Dwarf 368 (UK)
- 6a: Daemons Design Notes, pg. 22