The Shadowlands is all that remains of Nagarythe, the ancestral homeland of the Dark Elves. It is located between Tiranoc and Chrace while the Annulii Mountains separate them from Ellyrion and Avelorn.
Aenarion founded Nagarythe as his own personal fiefdom after the death of his first wife Astarielle[1a][2a][3a]. Ruling over the most hardened, driven and merciless warriors of his army, who became the Nagarythe, he established his court in the fortress of Anlec. Following his disappearance the realm of Nagarythe was inherited by his son Malekith.
At the end of the civil war, Malekith made a mad attempt to undo the Great Vortex. This led to a powerful magic backlash which quite literally ripped the land apart, leading to gigantic tsunamis which inundated and devastated large parts of Ulthuan, mainly the Northwest and especially Nagarythe.
Dark Elf invasions will often begin here; five major mountain passes cross the Annulii Mountains and are vital for major enemy incursions against the Inner Kingdoms.
Known features (north to south)
- Anlec: Former capital of Nagarythe, rebuilt and destroyed several times.
- Phoenix Gate
- Dragon Gate
- Unicorn Gate
- Griffon Gate: The sacrifice of all those who gave their lives for the defence of Ulthuan is honoured by a five hundred foot-tall statue of a Griffon[1b][2b][3b].
- Eagle Gate
|The realms, colonies & outposts of the High Elves|
|Realms of Ulthuan||Eataine - Caledor - Tiranoc - Shadowlands - Chrace - Cothique - Yvresse - Ellyrion - Avelorn - Saphery|
|Nearby Isles||The Isles - Isle of the Dead - Island of the Flame - Shifting Isles|
|Colonies & outposts||Arnheim - Citadel of Dusk - Fortress of Dawn - Gates of Calith|
- 1: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (4th Edition)
- 2: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (5th Edition)
- 3: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (7th Edition)