- This article is for the Pestilens clans of the Mortal Realms. For the Great Clan from the World-That-Was see: Clan Pestilens.
- The Children of the Horned Rat take many forms, amongst the most foul of which are the Clans Pestilens. These zealous skaven are disciples of disease, foul harbingers of decay who hurl themselves into battle with frenzied ferocity. - Age of Sigmar faction guide
The Clans Pestilens are the clans of Skaven, the most foul of them, that worship the Great Horned Rat in it's aspect of the Great Corruptor. They are disciples of disease and foul harbingers of decay. During the Age of Sigmar these clans are allied to Nurgle's vast armies in it's assault of Ghyran, by gnawing at it's world-roots. And some of the first skaven clans to fight the Stormcast Eternals, in this case the Hallowed Knights. One of their leaders is the Verminlord Corruptor Vermalanx who seeks to exploit Nurgle's victories for his own purpose.
Their objective is to not only see the Mortal Realms wither and decay in a holy, diseased crusade, but also to search for the Thirteen Great Plagues in the name of their god. They follow the gospel of the Great Corruptor, known as the Withered Word, a highly subjective and convoluted script written by frothing mad Plague Priests or whispered by lying Verminlords. This and the Skaven ability to creatively interpret instructions, has led to many violent schisms that ended with the clans splintering into new ones. The Word dictates that such splinters must happen in threes, so they find and single out rival churches to expel from the clan. Because of all of this they are often violent towards each other as to their enemies, fully believing that their shade of buboes or consistency of mucous is correct, while everything else is heresy. With a suitable cause they can come together to fight, usually a threat from a larger clan or under the orders of a Verminlord Corruptor. The Great Horned Rat greatly appreciates their struggle and the Clans desire his favour above all.
Thirteen Great Plagues
- For more information see: Thirteen Great Plagues
The Clans have searched for the Thirteen Great Plagues since the Age of Myth, when they learned of their existence from the Horned Rat himself. They follow Portents, visions and tales of monstrous diseases and have located seven of the sorcerous plagues.
Their Virulent Processions are like rivers of filth, with skaven covered in matted fur, squealing, chittering voices, the peal of rusted belts and shrieked prayers to the Horned Rat. Behind these follows a smog that rots everything they touch. Those that do not flee are first targeted by sprays of diseased filth from the Plagueclaws, softening the enemy by spreading contagion and rotting their flesh. After hearing the screams of the sick and dying to the Skaven charge through the miasma. The land blackens underneath the footclaws of the Plague monks, the Plague Furnaces and Censer-Bearers spill their corrosive fumes. The Plague Priests screech exhortations to their Congregations of Filth while the Verminlord Corruptors lead the at the heart of the swarms. Only rat-gnawed corpses are left behind by the sweep of the Virulent Processions.
The known clans include:
- Clan Morbidus: They are one of the three original Pestilens clans from which all others descended. Their plague monks number in the billions.
- Clan Septik: Known as the Right Claw of Pestilens. They are one of the three original Pestilens clans from which all others descended. Their plague monks number in the billions.
- Clan Feesik: They are one of the three original Pestilens clans from which all others descended. Their plague monks number in the billions.
- Clan Blitus: A clan with a huge swarm.
- Clan Retchid: A clan with a huge swarm.
- Clan Skrofulox: A newly splintered clan.
- Clan Grotus: A newly splintered clan.
- Clan Sputix: A newly splintered clan.
|Rotfang||Skaven Pestilens||Plague Priest||Skaven||The Archchanter of Pustulance, is an infamous Skaven Plague Priest of the Clan Morbidus. He is fanatically devoted to the Great Horned Rat, driven heartless and self-interested as a skaven can be as well as a master of plague brewing that has created concoctions so potent that it overcame the immunity of his fellow Plague Priests, using it to kill entire conclaves of his rivals.|
- 1: Warscrolls
- 2: What's New Today: 2015/08/13
- 3: What's News Today: 2016/03/08
- 4: Plague Censer Bearers product description
- 5: Verminlord Corruptor product description
- 6: Plague Claw Catapult product description
- 7: Age of Sigmar faction guide
- 8: Battletome: Skaven Pestilens (2016), pg. 14-15.