Tilea is a nation of the Old World, lacking a central government. Sharing a common language and culture it is politically divided in several city-states.
The city states have varying forms of government - some are republics while others were principalities.
The Apuccinis protect Tilea from the lawless region of the Border Princes, but the forests of the foothills are dangerous enough, harbouring predatory beasts with Goblins and bandits also being a pervasive threat.
The coastal states are important maritime powers which struggle with the Arabians and Estalians for dominance of the sea trade. Although Tilea was distinguished by the rivalry between its city states, the recognition of a common heritage ensures that they usually cooperate against common enemies. The inland states are mostly concerned with agriculture and sometimes subservient in some way to the coastal states.
- Luccini, an ancient principality
- Miragliano, a mighty principality
- Pavona, a perfidious principality
- Remas, a rebellious republic
- Sartosa, a decadent pirate principality
- Tobaro, a tormented principality
- Trantio, a turbulent principality
- Verezzo, a serene republic
In 1699 IC the merchants, Ricco and Robbio convinced the various princes of Tilea to finance an expedition to the east to find Lustria and hopefully even Ulthuan and the source of silk. A huge mercenary military force accompanied them and it attracted a large contingent of slayers who considered the whole thing doomed but for years nothing was heard of them. Then in 1714 IC, a caravan with pack mules laded with silk arrived in Verezzo accompanied by a message from the brothers who were residing in the previously unknown empire of Cathay. They had set up a trading enclave in the western most city of Shang-Yang and subsequnetly opened up a trade route which became known as the Silk Road. [3a]
Tilea had no regular military, and all city states employed companies of mercenaries instead. The companies ranged from groups of hardened, professional soldiers who would honourably fulfill the terms of their contract to the letter, to unscrupulous rabble all too prone to rebellion, plundering, and treachery.
Tilea is renowned for its wines and the various city states have many merchants and fleets of ships to faciliate trade or to explore new lands in search of riches or commerce. [2a]
All dates given in the Sigmarite Calendar.
- c -1780 - Legend has it that the ancient city of Tylos was destroyed on this date
- c -1500 - The High Elves return to Ulthuan
- c -700 - Tilean shepherds seen grazing their flocks in ruined Elf cities
- c 1 - Legend has it the twins Lucan and Luccina build the city of Luccini amid the ruins of a former Elven city. Remas, Sartosa & Tobaro are built in the following centuries.
- c 451 - The coast of Tilea is ravaged by the fleets of the Dark Elves and Settra (king of the undead in Nehekhara). Sartosa is destroyed.
Tilean Dark Ages
- c 475 - An Orc horde rampages through Tilea sacking many cities.
- c 491-978 - Slowly the Tileans drive the Orcs back over the Apuccini Mountains
- c 1017 - A stronghold is established in Sartosa by Norse raiders.
Era of Araby Wars
- c 1240 - The Corsairs of Araby invade Sartosa
- c 1366 - As the civil war ravages the Empire, Tilean mercenaries fight on both sides.
- c 1425 - The historic tournament of Ravola in which the Bretonnians are defeated by Tilean Knights, thus Tilea became safe from Bretonnian territorial advances.
- c 1448 - Mercenaries from Tilea help free Estalia from Sultan Jaffar's army.
- c 1487 - Remas suffers a Dark Elf raid.
Age of Exploration
- c 1492 - Lustria is "discovered" by Marco Colombo.
- c 1501 - The mercenary army of Luciano Catena recaptures Sartosa from the Corsairs of Araby.
- c 1563-1565 - Skaven capture Tobaro. Meldo Marcelli recaptures it later.
- c 1699 - Emperor Wu of Cathay receives the Tileans Ricco and Robbio.
- c 1757 - Sartosa becomes a lair of pirates.
- c 1812 - Tilea is ravaged by the Red Pox.
- c 1877 - Tabaroians elect a pig as their prince. It retains the throne for 12 years.
- c 1948 - The Four Tyrannies of Tilea.
Era of Enlightenment
- c 2000 - Art, culture and prosperity spread throughout Tilea.
- c 2012 - Leonardo of Miragliano, the inventive genius, enters the Emperor's service.
- c 2236 - Grottio is exiled for painting 2,000 naked nymphs on the ceiling of the Palazzo Verezzo. He is exiled to the island of Nonucci.
- c 2321-99 - Recurrent famines grip Tilea. They are caused by thousands of mice eating the grains. Remas and Verezzo are declared republics.
- c 2401 - 500 Tilean mercaneries hold out against 10,000 Orcs at the siege of Monte Castello.
- c 2485 - Borgio declares himself Prince of Miragliano.
- c 2489 - At the battle of Villa Vennia, Remas is defeated by Miragliano.
- c 2495 - At the battle of Via Vedia, Verezzo is defeated by Miragliano.
- c 2497 - At the battle of Vittoria Viccia, Trantio is defeated by Miragliano.
- c 2503 - The mighty Borgio the 'Besieger' is killed in his bath with a toasting fork.
- c 2505 - Lorenzo Lupo becomes Prince of Luccini.
- c 2513 - The Prince of Pavona is poisoned by Lucrezzia Belladonna. He is her 7th husband.
The End Times
- c 2522 - The Skaven rout a mercenary army defending the city of Miragliano and continue on to raze the city.
- c 2523 - Tilea falls to the skaven.
Notes & sources
- 1: Monstrous Arcanum
- 1a: Of the Late War, pg. 5-11
- 2: Warhammer Rulebook (6th Edition)
- 2a: Of Tilea and Estalia
- 3: Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War (5th Edition)
- 3a: The Age of Exploration, pg. 89
- Stillman, N., Pirinen, T., Wigley, J. 1998. Warhammer Armies: Dogs of War. Nottingham: Games Workshop Ltd. ISBN 1-872372-02-3
- Fall of Miragliano, UK White Dwarf no. 266.
- Vermintide, UK White Dwarf no. 268.
- Warhammer: Nagash p.69
- Warhammer: Nagash p.69
|Characters||Alexandra Giliani - Borgio the Besieger - Giordano Paolo - Giovanni Gottio - Giovanni Lanfranchi - Gossippa Lotta - Jacopo d'Arezzo - Leonardo of Miragliano - Lorenzo Lupo - Lucrezzia Belladonna - Lupa Stregga - Marco Colombo - Mydas the Mean - Nicholas DeGrutti - Orsini Sardus - Silak - Thaliaro|
|Cities||Kavzar - Luccini - Miragliano -Pavona - Remas - Sartosa - Tobaro - Trantio - Vedenza - Verezzo|
|Images - Miniatures - Vehicles|