From Warhammer - The Old World - Lexicanum
A few problems
Thanks for the edits you are doing to the lexi. The poor state of this wiki is extremely demotivating and sad. However there are three problems with you edits that I feel like I should note.
- You don't seem to source the info you add. This is extremely important and can end up with uncited info getting deleted later down the line(but since there are no admins it's unlikely). I don't mind fixing what I can(I have the first book and previews) but it would be a lot easier if you used the Fn/Endn system. If you don't know how that works I would gladly explain it to you.
- You tend to use the ''' bold mechanic instead of linking directly to other articles in the wiki with []. In general you should link to other articles, even if they don't exist yet.
- When editing the individual stormhost articles it seems like you're directly copying text and replacing the already rewritten sections of that text using the same source(Example:). Copying text directly into the wiki is generally frowned upon in the Lexicanum and other wiki, which is I rewrote the text in the first place. Personally I don't care if wikis copy text, but that also opens the wiki to the dangers of litigation.
- Hey, got your message. Wanna hit the points you bring up:
- I do know how to use the Fn/Endn system and I've been sourcing most of the stuff I add, I sometimes forget to when I go down a long rabbit-hole of edits. My plan is to put up all the Realms info I can find from the primer and the first Realmgate Wars book and make sure it's all sourced before getting too far into the other books and faction battletomes. I want to hit it all eventually - Realms, factions, armies, characters, etc.
- I'll keep in mind the [[ ]] thing, I generally don't like linking to non-existent articles until I'm ready to write them, but I don't mind that much.
- I actually prefer summarising info rather than copying directly, I just noticed directly copied text elsewhere and did the same. I'd rather use my own words anyway so I'll do that from now on.
- I'm really hoping to get this wiki up to snuff as a reference for Age of Sigmar info. Thanks. GoldenYak (talk) 11:24, 10 August 2016 (MDT)
- That's reasonable. I also have the primer and the first book(which is not a Realmgate Wars books. The first is Quest for Ghal Maraz.) and did add some stuff around. What we need more immediately is the lore pages and unit list from the Grand Alliance books translated into army pages and blurbs in the Grand Alliance articles (ex:Order), mostly because the main page of lexi links directly to them.
- The reason we should use that way it because it shows to other editors that a article or redirect is missing and after it's added we don't have to go back and check every article slightly correlated to it to see if there's any bold parts that should be links in them.
- Yes, perfect. Some editors are lazy others are ignorant. I rarely copy when I can't find my own words to express it, but I try to avoid it at all costs.
- I often try to edit new stuff in but quickly get demotivated because there's barely anyone editing. Just seeing anybody else editing makes me want to check what they did and what I can improve or add. At least I managed to keep these two lists up to date.--Ashendant (talk) 11:40, 10 August 2016 (MDT)