The magical Great Vortex is the most important and vital creation of the world. It drains magic from the world, maintaining a somewhat unstable equilibrium with the Warp Gates.
Centred on the Isle of the Dead, the vortex absorbs the winds of magic collected through a geomantic web of menhirs. The magic is gathered in the Annulii Mountains and then returned to the Realm of Chaos. Without the Vortex the world would be filled with magic, increasing the number of mutations and facilitating the appearance of Daemons. Its creation was a limited success; some High Elf mages were consumed by the spell and the survivors, including Caledor Dragontamer, are trapped in time.
- 1: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (4th Edition), pgs. 16-18, 28
- 2: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (5th Edition), pgs. 16-18, 29
- 3: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (6th Edition), pg. 51
- 4: Warhammer Armies: High Elves (7th Edition), pgs. 16, 18, 36
- 5: Warhammer Armies: Lizardmen (7th Edition), pgs. 20, 25