The Darkshards are the crossbow-armed wing of the Dark Elf Warrior class.
Many Dark Elves forsake melee weapons in favour of delivering death from afar. Armed with repeater crossbows — magazine-fed weapons capable of unleashing blistering hails of bolts — these Darkshards can take positions at the rear of the battlefield firing storms of iron-tipped bolts, against approaching foes, or move forwards to weaken the enemy line with a withering volley before the Dark Elf attack charges home. Though often scorned by other warriors for their distaste of close quarters battle, the Darkshards are anffinchingly proud of their marksmanship and are certainly no less cruel than their fellows. It is not uncommon for a Darkshard to forgo a killing strike to eye or heart in favour of a gut shot or other debilitating blow which, while ultimately so less lethal, guarantees that the enemy's last moments will be spent in mewling agony.
Weapons and Equipment
- 3rd Edition: Crossbow, Hand Weapon and Light Armour, may have Shields and swap Crossbows for Repeating Crossbows. [1a]
- 4th Edition: Light Armour, Repeating Crossbow and Sword, may have shields. [2a]
- 6th Edition: Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Repeating Crossbow, may have shields. May be led by a Lordling, Musician and Standard Bearer. [3a]
- 1: Warhammer Armies (3rd Edition)
- 1a: Dark Elf Army List, pg. 34
- 2: Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves (4th Edition)
- 2a: Dark Elf Bestiary, pg. 52
- 3: Warhammer Armies: Dark Elves (6th Edition)
- 3a: Armies of Naggaroth, pg. 28