Anvil of Doom
|Attention, Adept of the LEXICANUM!|
The Anvils of Doom are ancient and powerful heirlooms of the Dwarfen race used to forge the greatest of Dwarf artefacts
These Anvils were covered in complex runes that the later Runesmiths could not comprehend. When striking the Anvil, a Runesmith used techniques taught to him by his master, who had learned from his master, and so on back. Because of this, no two Anvils of Doom worked the same.
The most skilled of the Runesmiths of old, Kurgaz used Gromril to create the anvils and beat the Rune of Sorcery into them in the forges of Thunder Mountain. However, a Dragon attacked and broke open the mountain, killing Kurgaz and many of his peers and destroying its forges. [2a]
When an Anvil came to battle, it was accompanied by two Anvil Guards. These Dwarfs were bound by unbreakable oaths never to leave an anvil or its smith to the enemy.
While in the past the Anvil of Doom was mounted on wheels to move it across the battlefield, today it will be placed before the beginning of the battle on one point - often a hill top - to strike the runes and unleash the old power that is bound inside of the Anvil.
When struck correctly the Anvil draws magic to it to create various effects:[2a]
- Rune of Air: A dark cloud is summoned to unleash lightning on the enemy. [2a]
- Rune of Earth: The Anvil causes an explosion of rocky shards. [2a]
- Rune of Fire: Unleashes a fireball. [2a]
- Rune of Water: Water is drawn to a location to create an area of swampy ground. [2a]
Known Holds with a Anvil
- Karak Angkul. [1a]
- Karak Azul. Including some in the Weapon Shops of the Hold rather than the Guild. [2a]
- Karaz-a-Karak: Including some owned by indivdual Runesmiths rather than the Guild. [2a]
|How many glory-hungry fools have taken the sacred Anvils of Doom out into battle, boldly thinking they can command the vast powers of such sacred relics? And how many of these precious artefacts have been lost forever because they broke beneath the hammers of these same fools?|
- 1: Warhammer Chronicles: Thanquol and Boneripper (anthology): Thanquol's Doom (Novel)
- 1a: Chapter Six, pg. 545
- 2: Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs (6th Edition)
- 2a: The Dwarf Throng, pg. 8-9
- Warhammer Armies: Dwarfs (4th Edition), Needs Citation